Break the Ice – Art Contest 2016February 01, 2016 - Find Out More
The Hawaii Meth Project Break the Ice Art Contest is aimed at broadly communicating the risks of Meth, or “Ice,” through works of art. The contest offers students in grades 7-12 a way to be recognized for their artistic merit while learning about and communicating the dangers of this harmful drug.
The HawaiiMethProject.org and MethProject.org websites include interactive facts, videos, animations, image galleries, personal stories from users, and first-hand accounts from experts. Using a little inspiration from HawaiiMethProject.org and MethProject.org, and a lot of imagination, teens are asked to create a visual work of traditional or digital art to influence how people view Meth.
This contest includes two categories: traditional/digital art and sticker design. Prizes will be awarded to the top entries in both categories as well as a People’s Choice Award.
Funded by the State of Hawaii Department of Health, Alcohol and Drug Abuse Division.
- Traditional/Digital Art
- Division 1 – students in grades 7-9
- Division 2 – students in grades 10-12
- Sticker Design
- Hawaii residents who at the time of entry are students enrolled in grades 7-12 are eligible to enter. Note: Entrants under 18 years of age must have permission from their parent/ legal guardian to complete registration.
- Employees of Hawaii Meth Project or any entity involved in the preparation, creation or implementation of the contest are not eligible to enter for prizes.
- Entries must be traditional or digital art. Video or audio submissions will not be accepted.
- Entrants must provide the HawaiiMethProject.org or MethProject.org URL from which they were inspired when creating their entry. Entries that do not include this URL will not be considered.
- Each entry must have a clear “Not Even Once” or other anti-Meth theme.
- Entries must be wholly original, unpublished artwork and cannot incorporate or include anything, in whole or in part, that is owned or was created by any third party or that would require the consent or permission of any third party, and that does not violate any copyright, trademark, publicity right, privacy right or other intellectual property right of any third party.
- All interpretations of rules will be determined by the Hawaii Meth Project and its decisions shall be final.
- For your artwork to be considered for display, mail entry to P.O. Box 3073; Honolulu, HI 96802 or Oahu residents to email Contest@HawaiiMethProject.org to arrange pick up or drop off.
HOW TO ENTER
- Visit HawaiiMethProject.org and/or MethProject.org for inspiration.
You can also check out the 2014 Break the Ice winners here.
- Design and create your traditional or digital artwork.
- Beginning January 5, 2016 at 7 AM HST and by February 12, 2016 at 5 PM HST, upload a photo or scan of your artwork to the Break the Ice Art Contest website at https://hawaiimethproject.wishpond.com/breaktheice2016, and follow the submission instructions.
- Only one entry per category, per person is allowed. A single piece of art cannot be submitted to both categories. However, one person could submit different pieces in both categories.
- Traditional/Digital Art Category
- Maximum file size not to exceed 5 MB
- Acceptable Formats: gif, jpg, png, bmp, tif
- Sticker Design Category
- Must be a 5″ x 5″ square at 300 dpi
- Must include the text “Not Even Once” and “HawaiiMethProject.org”
- Submission Period: Monday, January 5, 2016 at 7 AM HST – Friday, February 12, 2016 at 5PM HST
- Facebook “People’s Choice” Voting Period: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 7AM HST – Tuesday, March 1, 2016 Midnight HST
- Announcement of Winners: Wednesday, March 2, 2016
- Prizes to be picked up at or mailed within a week of the Artists’ Reception (date TBD)
- Meth Prevention Message: Your artwork must have a strong “Not Even Once” or other anti-Meth message.
- Artistic Merit & Creativity: Submissions will be evaluated on thought, planning, artistic effort and creativity.
Email us at Contest@HawaiiMethProject.org.